Monday, January 30, 2012

The Beginning

I've never had a blog before, but I thought it would help me vent and share with others my experiences with my severely Autistic, non-verbal son Evelio. I am starting with some background information on my son and a little about myself. I decided to break it up into a few separate posts. . .Well, here goes. . .


I was 16 years old when my son, Evelio, was born.


While I was pregnant, I was so overwhelmed with the thought of being such a young parent, that possibilities of other factors in my unborn child's life hadn't crossed my mind. Not only was I to be a 16 year old mother, I was going to be a 16 year old SINGLE mother.


When I saw Evelio for the first time, all fears and worries vacated my mind (temporarily of course) and were replaced with absolute astonishment at the fact that I had created this little 6 pound 1 ounce baby boy. He was born premature (a little over 5 weeks). However, his pediatrician was delighted to inform me that he was extremely healthy for being so early. The only "problem" he had was that he was unable to suck on the nipple of the bottle, otherwise. . .perfectly healthy. He was in the hospital for 6 days after he was born and then I took him home.




I adjusted to being a mother easier and faster than I thought I would have. Before I became pregnant, I always said I never wanted kids, (and as I think about it, of course I would have said that! I was only 16!) But, motherhood was something that came as an instinct for me I guess. I was surprised by this, seeing as my own mother was not the best role model. However, seeing as this blog is not about myself, I will refrain from explaining her any further. Anyhow, as it turned out, I came to love being his mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment