Monday, April 9, 2012

School. . .

So, today, Evelio's teacher called me and we talked for about an hour. The subject: Evelio's placement in the school district for next school year.

The program he's in now, is called Early Childhood (like Pre-K). It is only for children with special needs. He has 3 other boys in his class and there are two teachers. He goes Monday-Thursday from 12:30pm-3:00pm.

There is another program that is available for him next year. It's at a different building. It's an all day program, Monday-Friday. He would mainly be in a classroom with other special needs kids, but he would be mainstreamed for certain classes, like P.E., Recess, Music, also for lunch.

I have the option of keeping him in the same program he is in now, or I could put him at the other school. I want him to have more than just two and a half hours a day. Now, my dilemma:
a) He would definitely not make it through an entire school day. He would end up in a terrible mood and he would get sent home.
b) The parts of the day where he would be mainstreamed would be disastrous. There is absolutely no way he could get through them without hurting someone. All of those children are already expected to know how and when to sit and to be patient with the process.
c) and MOST importantly, his teacher informed me of something I was not aware of. It is law that if Evelio were to attack someone, causing any type of injury, the family of said child, (or teacher or adult or ANYBODY) has the civil right to SUE ME. There is no way I can put him in a long day of school with that risk.

The program he is in now, I could still be sued if someone were to get hurt, however seeing as it is a very short day, he is less likely to become so agitated. But, even with the short day, he still scratches and bites, so I know, the longer the day, the more serious the injuries would become.

I know that Evelio is capable of learning, it is his BEHAVIOR that gets in the way. . . I am doing research on the kinds of resources he could possibly get in addition to school. I am so stressed out, I don't know what to do. I feel so lost and hopeless. I know I have to be strong for my baby, but it is so hard to focus on any twisted idea of something half-way positive, when most of what I see when it comes to his progress is negative. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment