Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My End of the Phone

Just a reminder, Evelio has now been at his inpatient facility for one month and one week.


He calls me every night. Really, his 1:1 aide calls me and hands him the phone. Now, Evelio is pre-verbal. I use pre-verbal because he makes noises so he is not mute but he doesn't speak English words, or any language for that matter. He's created his own language and honestly I wish he could teach it to me.

Anyhow, when he calls me, there are a few different types of "conversations" we have. Now, they all last around the same time frame. Usually from 10 seconds to 2 minutes (rarely). Evelio doesn't know how to use the phone, but I have asked the therapist to try and work with him an hopefully she can teach him the concept of it.... Anyway, back to the type of phone calls.

• HEAVY BREATHER
This is the type of phone call where, no matter what is said on my end, all I hear is breathing. And not just normal breathing, I'm talking HEAVY loud breathing. I get this type of phone call a lot. But hey I am not complaining. It always excellent to know your child has a healthy set of lungs.

• 10 SECOND QUICKIE
Our conversation will go something like this: Me - "Hi baby, I love you". Evelio - "ahhhh ung". And then the aide comes back on and says that he has handed the phone back to her and has run off. I guess that's his way of saying "ok mom you heard me and now I have to get back to more pressing matters like my bowl of popcorn might get stolen by some kid and I'll have to go to time away for kicking some ass" in two short word variations. (phone calls are usually done during "movie and popcorn" time before bed)

• THE BLABBER
This is my favorite type of phone call. This is where as soon as Evelio gets the phone he's just giggling and babbling away and I can't even get a word in. I have time to say "hi" and that's it. All I hear on the line is "ahhhh tee-tah eeeeee dai-yah ung ti ti ti" giggling madly "eeeee yah eee yah dai-ya eee" and some more maniac laughing. That kind of phone call always makes my day.

• TEAR JERKER
Pretty self explanatory. This is the phone call that is filled with tears from his end, that leads to tears from my end. Sometimes his crying sounds heartbroken, sometimes he sounds more like he's grumpy and whining. Either way I can tell that my baby is unhappy and it breaks my heart.

No matter what type of phone call I get, I look forward to my phone ringing every night so Evelio can hear my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment