Thursday, September 27, 2012

Yellow Ribbons: Home Sweet Home

Evelio was discharged from Rose Rock Academy on Wednesday, September 26th.

I was set to pick him up at 2pm. My mother-in-law and I arrived in Oklahoma City an hour and a half early. She decided we would wait for the time at the McDonald's down the street (the same McDonald's that Robert and I would take Evelio to on visitation days). I was so impatient. I couldn't sit still. We went to Rose Rock at 1:30pm. I then sat impatiently in the waiting area of the check-in/nurse's station until 2:07pm. Then, Keila finally came in with her intern and discharge papers. Then, I signed my life away and received my copies of everything rather greedily. I was ready to go.

I glanced out the door of the office and I see him. My baby was walking with an aide. She had a duffel bag with all of Evelio's clothes and a huge packet with Evelio's art projects inside.

Becca, his expressive therapist was calling to him from across the courtyard to hug him bye. He ran up to her and gave her a hug. I'm sure he was wondering why everyone was being so lovey-dovey with him. Then I walked out of the office and called to him. He turned and looked at me, smiled, and took off running toward me. I ran toward him too. There wasn't a huge distance between us, but I still felt as though there should be cameras filming this absolutely blissful moment between mother and son so I could watch it over and over again.

Anyhow, I scooped him up in my arms and he kissed me right on the lips. The aide handed Evelio's bag and file to my mother-in-law while I accompanied him to the bathroom. After a cup of water he finally went to the potty. Then, the nurse did one last check-over and went over his meds with me three times to make sure I understood.

When Evelio was admitted, he weighed around 47lbs. I believe he lost some at first and then apparently started gaining because now he weighs 51lbs. Maybe it's because he grew much taller. I'm not exactly sure how tall he was when he was admitted but now he measures at around 48"-49" which is around 4'-4'1" tall.

All the way home, Evelio was laughing and making noises. He was playing with the sunlight, trying to wipe it off his Nani Carrie's leather backseat. When we got home this time, there was no freak out. Just a bigger child, happy to be home.

He was in a great mood all afternoon and evening. Had 1 small accident and then spent 20 minutes on the pot doing you know what. He slept all night other than me waking him up every 3-4 hours to use the potty so that he doesn't wet the bed. I'm trying to teach him that if he gets up at night he should try to go to the potty.

Today, I've been up since 6:15am and Evelio since 7:15am. He has been in a fantastic mood all morning (except when I gave him a haircut, during which, if he could talk, I'm sure he would have been throwing some choice curse words at me). He hates clippers. He became a little nervous and placed his hands over his ears when I vacuumed the living room rug because of the noise of the vacuum.

He has had one accident (#1) today, but that was on the run to the potty to do #2, which I am absolutely bursting with pride to say that he was taking himself to do while I was busy printing off -Birth Defect- notes for my -Human Development and Learning- class. I'm surprised I didn't lose my voice with how loudly I was praising him as he sat with his little poop-strain face while doing his business :).

Anywho, as you can tell I am one happy mama. I am so glad I have my baby back. He starts school on Monday, and until then he and I will absolutely be inseparable!

Now, back to my baby! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment